In recent times, there have been enormous advances in the field of technology. Technology has enabled people to work from desks. However, it has one severe effect on the human mind and body – people have become quite sedentary. People prefer to mindlessly scroll through their feed rather than exercise. Even in offices, employees sit at their desks for long hours, and it drastically affects their health. To protect their health, companies have started offering group health insurance to their employees as a part of the employee wellness program. ?
It is quite difficult to lead a healthy lifestyle if you go without any physical activity for long hours. Prolonged sitting is a routine practice for corporate employees. It causes their health to deteriorate and most of them suffer from illnesses such as heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity.
Research stated that those who sit all day at a stretch without any physical movements are at a higher risk of fatal illnesses. This makes it even more crucial to make the necessary lifestyle shifts and lead a healthier life.
Desk Exercises allow you to relax and remain fit even while doing your job. The best part is that they do not take a lot of time. If this habit is rightfully instilled, you may even find yourself doing neck and shoulders rotation instead of gorging on a plate full of fried delicacies during your break!
Understanding the meaning of Desk Exercises and how they can be helpful?
In the simplest of terms, a desk exercise is a type of exercise that an employee can do while sitting at their desk in the office. As the name goes, you do not require any physical equipment to do these exercises. These exercises can be done at any time, right from the comfort of your favourite office chair!
These exercises are the means to conditioning and strengthening your body. It is a well-known fact that if employees work long hours, it may lead to irritation, discomfort, unproductivity and stiffness in the body. Desk exercises can counter that!?
Desk exercises can re-energize your mind and keep you motivated (and maybe wrap up your work faster!). After all, who does not enjoy getting back home early after an exhausting day at work and unwinding with their loved ones? If you succeed in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, you will become more effective at work and it might leave you with ample time to spend with your family. ?
The desk exercises have a major benefit – preventing stiffness and fighting issues such as back pain and neck pain. These exercises help you improve blood circulation. The overall stress reduces and the mind feels relaxed, thereby boosting the production of endorphins. ✔
To begin with, one can simply start doing brisk walking and stretching on an hourly basis. It is important to take deep breaths while doing stretches. One must not hold their breath for too long.
Now that we have learnt about the impact of desk exercises briefly, buckle up and get ready to dive into experiencing some life-changing exercises. Some of the popular desk exercises are as follows- ?
- Wrist exercises ??
Wrist stretches are highly recommended for those workers who spend a major part of their day working on the computers. Not only does it hurt your fingers and make them numb but also causes tension to the muscles. The exercise is quite practical and can help you avoid extreme levels of muscular pain in the future. The main objective of this exercise is to ease your muscles.
- Lift the wrists and start moving them clockwise.
- Ten reps will make one set.
- After you have done this clockwise, move your wrists in the anti-clockwise direction for another set.
- Make sure that you shake your hands so that the muscles can get relaxed.
- Leg Raises
Leg raises is one of the simplest exercises that an employee can do without attracting much attention from their peers.
- Lift your left leg and keep it parallel to the ground.
- Keep it straight for 15 seconds.
- Then lift your right leg and keep it straight for 15 seconds.
- You may place a briefcase underneath to increase the strength.
- Chair Dips
Now is the best time to make use of your favourite office chair. It is time to exercise!
- Move on to the edge of the chair and place your legs right in front of you.
- Spread your legs and sit tight.
- Now grab the edge of the chair with both your hands and move up and down.
- Raise your upper body with the help of your hands.
- This exercise will have a direct impact on the core muscles.
- Repeat this movement about 20 times and then have a 5 mins break. You can continue further for 20 mins.
- Neck And Shoulder Rotation?
Oftentimes, you may find yourself or your colleague having a splitting headache. It may even cause stiffness. The most ideal way to come out of it is to do neck and shoulder rotation.
- Get up from your chair. Stand. Maintain a straight posture.
- Move your neck in the clockwise direction 10 times.
- Now move it anti-clockwise 10 times.
- For shoulder rotation, lift your arm and rotate it clockwise and then anticlockwise.
- In case of any pain, it is advised to stop immediately and have some water.
We can observe that desk exercises cater to specific requirements of the body and can prove to be quite effective- leading to improved efficiency amongst employees.
Employers are offering group health insurance keeping in mind the growing need for placing emphasis on the wellness of the staff. Group insurance includes a comprehensive health package that has regular health checkups and doctor’s consultations. It supports the employee to take charge of their health and track their progress. Group medical plans provide several benefits and are cost-effective. They come with an affordable interest rate.
So go on, apply for an employee healthcare plan for the safety and security of the employees of your company and make them feel valued!